Parish Priest: Fr Nick Kern
Permanent Deacons: Revv Gerard Doherty, Joseph Norbury.
Address: Sacred Heart & St Peter’s Presbytery, Floatshall Road,Baguley, Manchester. M23 1HP
Telephone: 0161 998 5319
Team Ministry Secretary: Mr Leo J Byrne
Telephone: 0161 436 5622
Community Worker: Gerry Flanagan
Telephone: 0161 945 5313
Hospital Chaplain: Fr Sajimon Kuriakose
Telephone: 0161 998 7070 (The Chaplain is contacted through the Hospital)
*Please note changes to Mass times beginning on Sunday September 4th 2016
Saturday Vigil Mass 6pm Sacred Heart and St Peter's Church, Baguley
Sunday 11.30am Sacred Heart and St Peter's Church, Baguley
Please see parish newsletter
The Parish of Sacred Heart & St Peter was first established in November 1946 and was dedicated to the Apostle Peter. Sunday Mass was celebrated in the Royal Oak Hotel, off Altrincham Road. Within a couple of months however, Mass had been transferred to the Royal Oak Infant School. Christmas Mass was appropriately celebrated in the nearby barn at Mayer’s farm.
Bishop Murphy laid the foundation stone of the church school (the present Sacred Heart Primary School) in Floatshall Rd in 1949 and it opened in 1951. In 1953, a new church was opened in Firbank Road, Newall Green, along with St Peter’s Primary School & St Paul’s Secondary School. Due to the rapid expanse of Wythenshawe, a new parish was created in Baguley in 1967. The new parish of Sacred Heart was placed in the care of the Sacred Heart Fathers (SCJ) and Mass was celebrated in the primary School until the present church was opened in 1973.
In 1994 the Sacred Heart Fathers left the Parish and it returned to the care of the Shrewsbury Diocese. Due to a decline in Mass attendance and rising financial costs, the decision was made to close St Peter’s in August 2003 and so the two parishes, that had formally been one, found themselves reunited under the title of Sacred Heart & St Peter. This is now a vibrant Parish, with two successful primary schools, serving the people of Baguley & Newall Green.