Home St. Hilda & St. Aidan’s

St. Hilda & St. Aidan’s Parish

CONTACT DETAILS

Parish Priest: Fr Nick Kern
Permanent Deacon: Rev Brian McCarthy
Address: 66 Kenworthy Lane, Northenden, Manchester M22 4EF
Tel: 0161 998 2895 
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Team Ministry Secretary: Mr Leo J Byrne
Telephone: 0161 436 5622
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Community Worker: Gerry Flanagan
Telephone: 0161 945 5313
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Wythenshawe Hospital
Hospital Chaplain: Fr Sajimon Kuriakose
Telephone: 0161 998 7070 (The Chaplain is contacted through the Hospital)

TIMES OF MASSES

Sunday Masses:
*Please note changes to Mass times beginning on the Sunday September 4th
9am        St Hilda’s Church
10.15am  St Aidan’s Church

Week Day Masses
Please see parish newsletter

BRIEF HISTORY

Small Beginnings
In 1904 Shrewsbury Diocese purchased a non-Catholic chapel on Kenworthy Lane in Northenden, which had originally been built three years previously for private use. The chapel became St Hilda’s Catholic Church and was officially opened and blessed on Sunday 19th June 1904 by Bishop Allen. The Church was to serve the Catholic community for the next 66 years.

A New Catholic School
From the 1930’s, Catholics living in Northern Moor would walk to St Hilda’s Church for Mass.  This happened for many years until a Catholic Primary School was built in Northern Moor.  The foundation stone for the school was laid by Bishop Moriarty on 23rd April 1938. This school was originally called St Hilda’s, but was renamed St Aidan’s in 1945 when Bishop Moriarty established a new parish - St Aidan’s, formed from St Hilda’s, with plans to build a new church in the area. Before St Aidan’s Church was built however, the school was used for worship by Catholics in Northern Moor and Brooklands, with the hall being used for Mass, and the Head teacher’s room and staff room being used as the sacristy and confessional respectively.

New Churches
St Aidan’s Catholic Church in Northern Moor was officially opened and blessed in October 1955 by the Vicar General, the Right Rev. Maurice Provost Curran. The church and the school still serve the community today. The present day Church of St Hilda opened with the first Mass on the 19th June 1970. The Church was built to replace the original chapel.

One Parish
In April 2006, reflecting our changing times, the separate parishes of St Hilda’s and St Aidan’s became one parish. St. Aidan’s Church became a Mass Centre and part of the church was transformed into a community space, which is home to the Catholic Children’s Society in the area. The history of the Catholic community of Brooklands, Northern Moor and Northenden continues to be intertwined today, as it had been in the 1930’s.  St. Hilda and St Aidan’s Parish, alongside St. Aidan’s School, continues to bear witness to our faith in a changed world, but with the same spirit of dynamism which drove our founders over one hundred years ago.

Forthcoming Events

No events

Events Calendar

Last month September 2017 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 35 1 2
week 36 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
week 37 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
week 38 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
week 39 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Who's Online

We have 14 guests online